As seen on Dr. Oz, healthcare practitioner Bryce Wylde and gardening expert Frankie Flowers share the best tips and tricks for easy, homegrown remedies for common problems. From hangovers to sunburn, acne to aging spots, start living a healthier lifestyle today—you won’t have to go further than your backyard!
- ALOE VERA: A well-known sunburn soother, aloe vera can also help eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis. Cut 3 medium-sized leaves from an aloe plant and squeeze the gel into a sterile glass container. Add 2 ice cubes and stir gently to cool. Dip a clean cotton swab and apply as needed.
- SPINACH: Fight wrinkles and protect skin with antioxidant-rich spinach. Combine with yogurt and your favorite berries for a refreshing salad, or add broth, green peas, broccoli and spices for a simple spinach soup.
- STRAWBERRY: This beautiful red fruit might be notorious for staining clothes, but it’s the perfect solution for teeth whitening. Blend on high speed 1 tbsp of baking soda, juice from half a lemon, and 6 large strawberries. Wipe saliva from teeth then use a cotton swab to apply the mixture liberally. Leave on for up to 3 minutes then gently brush teeth.
- LAVENDER:There’s a reason those post-workday bubble baths are so tempting- lavender is known for its relaxing aromatherapy effects, plus it can reduce anxiety and aid sleep. Apply 2 drops on the back of each hand between the thumb and index finger then massage the area. Breathe deeply and relax.
- GARLIC:What do vampires and earaches have in common? They can be stopped by these fresh cloves. Warm 4 tbsps of olive oil and 2 cloves of garlic in low heat for 1 hour. Strain the oil and store in a re-sealable glass jar. Using a dropper, place 4 drops to affected area (while oil is warm). Anxiously awaiting the right vampire recipe.
- WHEATGRASS: Alas, a backyard miracle. We know all about trendy wheatgrass shots, but here’s a hangover elixir to sip on: in a bottle, mix 4 cups of water, squeezed juice from one lemon, one 99-mg potassium tablet (crushed), ¼ tsp sea salt, 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses, 1 oz. wheatgrass juice. Bottoms up!
- BASIL: Acne breakout? Put basil to work with a blemish mask! Blend on high speed ¼ cup plain yogurt with 25 fresh basil leaves, until smooth. Apply evenly to face and leave on for up to 30 minutes, then rinse with cool water.
- THYME:Wheeze no more, it’s thyme to breathe freely and clearly. Clear an upper respiratory infection with thyme honey: place ½ cup of dried thyme in a re-sealable glass jar and add 1 cup of honey. Set aside for at least 1 week then use a fine-mesh sieve to strain into a sterile jar with a tight lid. Use 1 tsp 3-4 times daily or as needed, or add to boiled water with lemon.
- BLUEBERRY: A healthy dose can protect cells against harmful free radicals that result from stress overload. Try a shot of blueberry juice each morning: puree 1 cup of blueberries in a blender and strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Namaste!
- TOMATO: The universal favorite and perhaps most versatile. From grandma’s secret sauce recipe to the French fry’s squeezable companion, tomato has huge health benefits and can even reduce the risk of prostate cancer. For a healthy spread, try this on toast: puree 12 tomatoes with 1 red bell pepper, 1 tbsp rock salt, ¼ tsp garlic powder, and extra virgin olive oil, boil for 5 minutes, then refrigerate overnight. Bake in glass dish for 30 minutes at 200° F. Store in tight container for up to 2 weeks.
Learn more about simple homemade remedies you can grow in Power Plants.