You’re about to board a three-hour flight, and your stomach won’t shut up. You need to put something in that belly, but a quick scan of the airport cafeteria tells you that you have two options: (a) chug a few beers to fill ’er up, or (b) chew on your arm on the plane. Though those may sound like your only options, airports aren’t the fast-food paradise they once were. Use this list to prepare before the next time you fly the unfriendly skies.
- Starbucks: Grab the Starbucks Perfect Oatmeal made with whole-grain oats, a hearty filling breakfast.
- California Pizza Kitchen: Try the Grilled Vegetable Salad with Thai Peanut Dressing. Fresh and tasty, the dressing really steals the show here.
- Au Bon Pain: The soups are fantastic, including French Moroccan Tomato Lentil Soup, Black Bean Soup, Curried Rice and Lentil Soup, Tuscan White Bean, Vegetarian Chili, and Vegetarian Lentil Soup.
- Wolfgang Puck Express: Italian food has my name written all over it, but I can’t help but get giddy when I see a Wolfgang Puck Express at an airport I’m passing through. The angel hair pasta with fresh tomato, basil, and garlic is to die for. Just do everyone a favor and pop a mint before boarding.
- Smoothie King: Instead of getting hopped up on soda or coffee, order the Pomegranate Punch, which is more refreshing and healthy. The smoothie contains pomegranate juice, bananas, blueberries, apple juice, and soy protein. Leave out the turbinado sugar, which will reduce the amount of sugar and calories. You don’t need it—fruit is sweet enough on its own.
- Sbarro: This pizza haven offers a fancy selection of salads when you’re in the mood for something light and tasty. I skip the dressings altogether and use oil and vinegar. My top picks are the Tomato and Cucumber Salad, Garden Fresh Salad, String Bean and Cherry Tomato Salad, and the Greek Salad with no cheese.
Get more must-have tips for the smart vegan in Skinny Bitch Book of Vegan Swaps by Kim Barnouin.